I am very excited to be facilitating your introduction to chemistry this trimester. The approach is considerably different than the traditional way, an approach that required memorizing a bunch of facts soon to be forgotten. Our journey into chemistry will be evidence based with very little direct instruction by me. Yes, I, a teacher raised through the traditional approach to a PhD, thought we should start out with the periodic table and go from there. It seemed so logical.
However, just about two years ago now, I was exposed to this alternative approach in a couple of weekend workshops. I became so enamored of the approach that I paid my own way and lodging for three weeks in Missouri during the summer of 2013. This past summer and well as the summer of 2014, I was a facilitator for a three-week workshop in Michigan where I helped train other teachers in this approach. This was in part of a $2 million grant of bring modeling in science to Michigan.
Not memorizing a lot of facts sounds appealing, eh? Some of you who like that approach and do very well at memorizing may not like this approach which values thinking more than anything else. You will hear me constantly querying “How do you know?”
Get Remind text messages: text @sgchem1 to 81010
DrJs AAPS Moodle Place: http://www.jfinnan.com/shs/moodle/
Here are some recent posts with an excerpt of the beginning of each one:
- Unit 3 Exam Average 85% with Five Perfect & Five Near Perfect. Over 55% of the Class got 90% or Greater! March 3, 2017 Test Reflections will close after next Tuesday March 7. Here are the distributions.
- Tuesday February 21 is the last day for test reflections. February 12, 2017 If you got less than 7% on any objective/standard you push your overall score up a lot to a little. Every decimal point could help when it comes to the final grades. I am available all this week after school until 4:30 pm. Monday, 2/20, is a holiday. Some of you who need to do a ...
- Seven Perfect Unit 2 Exams. Average 85.3% with a low of 35%! February 12, 2017 Genie Jeff was Correct! Several forgot to change temperatures to the absolute scale. There is one student who has to take the exam yet. Almost 50% got 90% overall or higher. Here are the charts:
- Learning From Mistakes (LFMs) Reflections - More than just Retesting. January 24, 2017 Learning From Mistakes (LFMs) Reflections - More than just Retesting. To demonstrate mastery for a particular objective that was assessed in a unit exam, you must complete “Learn From Mistakes” test corrections and reflections followed by some quizzing. The steps: 75% Write LFM Reflections on the top of the paper. Write the objective (number and statement) for which you ...
- Unit 1 Exam Average 87.8% Three perfect and five near perfect. January 24, 2017 Here is the distribution of the scores: Here are the objectives. For 1.04 there were only two points. Therefore, it ranges from 0 to 50 to 100%. Hence the 75%.
- A surprising result in the Mass & Change Lab? December 4, 2016 Reflection Describe in words what a properly drawn particle should look like. Mass & Change Lab Data for the six stations obtained. Heating steel wool in a flame surprised everyone. Steel Wool Before and After Pulling Data tabulated Will go over tomorrow. Other Stations Will continue data analysis, graphing, and whiteboarding station by station
- Safety First, Safety Contract, Syllabus, Whiteboard Training Camp November 28, 2016 Safety POGIL Students worked through a self-guided POGIL (Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning) The Safety Contract needs to be signed as soon as possible. We will start a lab on Wednesday! Syllabus Signature Sheet Please have your parent of guardian sign this. Whiteboard Training Camp (Read Tonight, Debate Tomorrow.) TASK: With your group, rank all 6 characters in order of who has most ...
- Exam on Thursday. Worksheet 3 Finished. Emp & Molec Formulas (2). Quiz October 3, 2016 Reflection A mass of 79.90 g Br has the same number of atoms as _____ g of Na. Unit 5 Exam On Thursday with a few multiple-choice but mostly free response/short answer calculations and particle representations. Review Guide handed out on Friday Will start review tomorrow. Worksheet 3 We finished. Empirical and Molecular Formulas (2) Started Quiz Was handed back. It is out of 16.
- Plicker PwrPnt Review Available at the Bottom of Moodle June 14, 2016 There "evaluation copy" stamp will disappear later this evening. On Moodle this is called "Plicker PwrPnt Review with Class Choices."
- Three Perfect and Six Near Perfect Scores on Unit 3 Exam. Average was 78.5%. June 8, 2016 Mastery is 26.25 Points.